Sebastian Vettel took his first win of the season in hugely controversial fashion in the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Vettel had run behind Red Bull teammate Mark Webber for the majority of the race, but then blatantly ignored an instruction by his team to hold station behind the Australian by passing him at turn four with ten laps remaining.
Webber followed his teammate home in second place, but the body language of both he and the Red Bull team was telling in what they thought of Vettel’s actions.
Lewis Hamilton took his first podium for Mercedes with third place after a fighting drive, with his teammate Nico Rosberg finishing fourth. Like Red Bull, Mercedes asked both drivers to hold station in the closing stages. Rosberg, despite being quicker than Hamilton in the closing stages, obliged and followed his teammate home, unlike Vettel.
Felipe Massa finished fifth, ahead of an impressive Romain Grosjean, whilst Australian Grand Prix winner Kimi Raikkonen finished seventh. Nico Hulkenberg scored his first points for Sauber in eighth, while Sergio Perez and Jean-Eric Vergne completed the top ten.
The race was a disaster for Fernando Alonso, who crashed out at the start of the second lap when his front wing, which was damaged after hitting the back of Vettel in the first corner, went underneath his Ferrari and sent him off the road.
Vettel now leads the world championship with 40 points, nine points clear of Raikkonen on 31, whilst Webber’s second place moves him up to third in the standings.
1) Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull-Renault
2) Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull-Renault
3) Lewis Hamilton (GB) Mercedes
4) Nico Rosberg (Ger) Mercedes
5) Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari
6) Romain Grosjean (Fra) Lotus-Renault
7) Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Lotus-Renault
8) Nico Hulkenberg (Ger) Sauber-Ferrari
9) Sergio Perez (Mex) McLaren-Mercedes
10) Jean-Eric Vergne (Fra) Toro Rosso-Ferrari
11) Valtteri Bottas (Fin) Williams-Renault
12) Esteban Gutierrez (Mex) Sauber-Ferrari
13) Jules Bianchi (Fra) Marussia-Cosworth
14) Charles Pic (Fra) Caterham-Renault
15) Giedo van der Garde (Ned) Caterham-Renault
16) Max Chilton (GB) Marussia-Cosworth
17) Jenson Button (GB) McLaren-Mercedes
18) Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) Toro Rosso-Ferrari
DNF) Pastor Maldonado (Ven) Williams-Renault
DNF) Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India-Mercedes
DNF) Paul di Resta (GB) Force India-Mercedes
DNF) Fernando Alonso (Esp) Ferrari