IndyCar Series (Round 2/19, Barber Motorsports Park)
Reigning IndyCar series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay scored his first win of the new season after a hard-fought race at Barber Motorsports Park.
Hunter-Reay passed Helio Castroneves for the lead with 15 laps remaining, but then had to fight off a late challenge Scott Dixon in the final laps to secure the win.
The Andretti Autosport driver’s win makes him the first ever non-Penske driver to win an IndyCar race at Barber, and moves him up to third in the championship.
Castroneves came home third, ahead of Charlie Kimball and Will Power, who suffered from fuel-saving issues after his two-stop strategy failed to work and the Australian ran out of gas after crossing the finish line.
Simon Pagenaud was sixth, ahead of Marco Andretti and Justin Wilson, while Josef Newgarden and Tristan Vautier completed the top ten.
It was a bad day for St. Petersburg winner James Hinchcliffe, who retired after a first corner collision with Oriol Servia and Graham Rahal broke his wheel, while Dario Franchitti also failed to finish after his header broke on the 43rd lap.
Castroneves’ third place gives him the Penske driver the lead in the series after two rounds, with Dixon just nine points behind the Brazilian in second.
1) Ryan Hunter-Reay (USA) Andretti Autosport-Chevrolet – 90 laps
2) Scott Dixon (NZ) Chip Ganassi Racing-Honda – +0.636 secs
3) Helio Castroneves (Bra) Penske-Chevrolet – +17.682 secs
4) Charlie Kimball (USA) Chip Ganassi Racing-Honda – +20.616 secs
5) Will Power (Aus) Penske-Chevrolet – +26.646 secs
6) Simon Pagenaud (Fra) Schmidt-Honda – +27.299 secs
7) Marco Andretti (USA) Andretti Autosport-Chevrolet – +27.717 secs
8) Justin Wilson (GB) Coyne-Honda – +30.550 secs
9) Josef Newgarden (USA) Fisher-Honda – +41.102 secs
10) Tristan Vautier (Fra) Schmidt-Honda – +50.644 secs
1) Helio Castroneves (Bra) Penske-Chevrolet – 79pts
2) Scott Dixon (NZ) Chip Ganassi Racing-Honda – 70pts
3) Ryan Hunter-Reay (USA) Andretti Autosport-Chevrolet – 66pts
4) Marco Andretti (USA) Andretti Autosport-Chevrolet – 61pts
5) James Hinchcliffe (Can) Andretti Autosport-Chevrolet – 56pts
Click here for the full results and championship standings from the IndyCar Series
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (Round 6/36, STB Booster 500, Martinsville Speedway)
Jimmie Johnson won his eighth Sprint Cup race at Martinsville after a dominant drive to victoy in Sunday’s STB Booster 500.
Johnson led 347 of the 500 laps and looked comfortable at the front throughout the race, surviving a late caution period to take his second win of the season.
Clint Bowyer finished second, ahead of Johnson’s Hendrick Motorsports teammate Jeff Gordon, whose car wasn’t strong enough over the shorter run to the flag to make it a 1-2 for his team.
Kasey Kahne made it three Hendrick cars in the top four after passing Kyle Busch on the final lap, while Busch only just held onto fifth after a thrilling duel on the first lap with Brad Keselowski saw the Joe Gibbs Racing driver hold the position by just seven one-thousandths of a second.
Jamie McMurray finished seventh, while Marcos Ambrose, Greg Biffle and Mark Martin completed the top ten.
1) Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Motorsports-Chevrolet – 500 laps
2) Clint Bowyer Michael Waltrip Racing-Toyota – +0.628 secs
3) Jeff Gordon Hendrick Motorsports-Chevrolet – +0.909 secs
4) Kasey Kahne Hendrick Motorsports-Chevrolet – +1.512 secs
5) Kyle Busch Joe Gibbs Racing-Toyota – +2.182 secs
6) Brad Keselowski Penske Racing-Ford – +2.189 secs
7) Jamie McMurray Earnhardt Ganassi-Chevrolet – +3.057 secs
8) Marcos Ambrose Richard Petty Motorsports-Ford – +3.541 secs
9) Greg Biffle Roush Fenway-Ford – +3.941 secs
10) Mark Martin Joe Gibbs Racing-Toyota – +4.193 secs
1) Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Motorsports-Chevrolet – 231pts
2) Brad Keselowski Penske Racing-Ford – 225pts
3) Dale Earnhardt Jr. Hendrick Motorsports-Chevrolet – 219pts
4) Kyle Busch Joe Gibbs Racing-Toyota – 203pts
5) Kasey Kahne Hendrick Motorsports-Chevrolet – 199pts
6) Greg Biffle Roush Fenway-Ford – 199pts
7) Carl Edwards Roush Fenway-Ford – 193pts
8) Clint Bowyer Michael Waltrip Racing-Toyota – 179pts
9) Paul Menard Richard Childress Racing-Chevrolet – 179pts
10) Matt Kenseth Joe Gibbs Racing-Toyota – 172pts
Click here for the full results and championship standings from the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.